Saturday, May 14, 2011

Mung Bean Dessert w/ Coconut Sauce



I wasn't in mood to study pediatrics this weekend so I decided to make something warm, sweet, and easy. The green bean is sweet with a slight of gingery trace and the coconut milk is a bit savory. Now this snack will be my companion as I open my book! :)

I always like mung bean (or so-they-called here: green bean). Usually I like to keep it handy by boiling them (for 1 hour or so) , add some sugar, and that's it. It is perfect to be enjoyed while it is warm, or after you keep it chilled in the fridge. Today I tried to make a different style of it. I soak the bean for half day (morning to afternoon) while I was revising some pediatrics material. Then on the afternoon I boil it for about 1 hour with some gingers (you can use fresh ones, I use two packs of instant ginger drink this time), and add 1 pandan leaf. Once you see that the beans become twice its actual size and it begins to soften, you can lower down the fire or just lift the pan. add some sugar, stir it up, and leave them to make the coconut sauce.

For the coconut sauce, use coconut milk (I use an instant one) and simmer for about 2 minutes. Mix with some corn flour. Add pandan leaf if you want to add its fragrance to the sauce. Note that you should mix a spoon of corn flour with a room-temperature water first before you heat it. Less water if you like the sauce thicker. Leave until it boils, add a pinch of salt and a bit of sugar,  stir, and lift. Enjoy the sweet mung bean soup with the savory and thick coconut sauce! Yum.
 
a perfect companion as I open my book! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment