Saturday, January 29, 2011

When a Med Stud Watch A Movie

I know that this thing happens to almost all of my friends in med school and I have been experiencing this since my first year: we can't stop our mind (and/or mouth) from any medical-related scene on anything we are watching.

Last Thursday I watched a Chinese movie, entitled "Shaolin". It was a good movie, indeed. Good humors, some touchy scenes,nice effects, and some complicated kungfu moves. The greatest thing is that two senior, tallented Chinese actors and singers, Andy Lau and Jackie Chan, also act in this movie. Both as the good heroic character. But there are some scenes which annoyed me because I keep on relating it to the medical theories I have learned so far.

1.  There were several scenes which actors/actresses bleed through their mouth. My thought: "Which organ trauma could cause this bleeding?"

2.  When an actor got deeply stabbed more than one time by a blade directly to the upper left area of his chest (right where the heart lies), he was still able to performed some kungfu moves and fight the bad guys about 10 minutes. My thought : "Isn't he supposed to be death by now? To be stabbed right on your heart will have the same impact with cardiac arrest, right?"

3.   When a cute little girl died after some physical trauma and a senior monk had sticked an acupuncture needle on her neck and the little girl bleed through her mouth. My thought "What could be the cause of her death? Does the acupuncture needle on her neck really help?"


I'm glad that I can keep my mouth shut during the movie. Or else, those who sit next to me in the cinema won't be able to stand my critics and I might end up watch all movies without any companion. Except my med school friends, perhaps.

*Anyway, there is a cute actor acted as a monk in the movie. Anyone has idea who he is?

No comments:

Post a Comment