Friday, January 21, 2011

The Hospital on 10 a.m.

I began to thank goodness I have just made a blog. As I usually think and ask questions a lot, sometimes I whine and become very critical about things around me, having a blog to express all of those thoughts seems to be quite relieving. Now I can guarantee people won't get bothered by my too-honest words that much anymore when I'm around.

This morning, after my last theoretical exam this semester (it was pharmacology), I went to the Oncology Clinic in the General Hospital. I was going to meet one of my research consultant -an oncology surgeon-  to get my last revision and his approval signature. I have made appointment by SMS the day before, so I thought the waiting wouldn't be too long (last time I waited for 5 hours straight before he finally finished the surgery). Instead of being bored and wandering my thoughts around, I decided to write my thoughts. Yes, I wrote my thoughts in the middle of busy hospital, with the patients and nurses around. So here is my short note:
<<Soap opera is showing actors with fake tears, fake ill faces.
While the women around me (breast cancer patients) show the real pain. The sign of healing process  after their mastectomy or breast biopsy.
 Some patients are inside their room, waiting for being healed. Some are counting their last days and their lifetime's blessings. Seconds nearer to their final goodbye.
While the children are playing outside. Toddlers talking with their imperfect sentences. They are growing, so far from what we called "death". The increasing ages, one is dying, the others are beginning their youth. Embracing the two sides of life: health and illness.


Medical reps are asking for doctors' names, digging every information of who, where, and when they can meet their future clients. Sometimes pens and notebooks with the company's label on them do help.

Nurses and patients sharing smiles, talking about which doctor is the most good-looking ("Is he single??"). Gossips -- the only thing which can diminish all the boundaries among women who haven't known each other before.

One patient sighed "I lose my appetite because of this chemotherapy."
A senior nurse replied --  just like what she always says to patients who suffer because of these chemicals " You should eat ice cream. Trust me, ice cream is delicious, it helps you to bring back your appetite, and it contains vitamins. Once you're back home, buy two ice creams every day--one for your son, and one for yourself."

A lady who was registered to have her lump biopsied today disappeared. A nurse looked for her from toilets to waiting rooms, north to south. When finally she found the patient, she said "Where have you been? We've been looking for you all over the clinic!" And surprisingly, all the patients waiting in that room, laughed at this worrisome lady. The lady smiled. I smiled. 

Me, waiting for half an hour already, is still waiting for the doctor. These papers with the empty space above the doctor's name (and his uncountable titles) is waiting to be signed. The precious signature which have to be paid by hours of waiting.

On the other hand, I'm enjoying the scene of the real life. Recorded by my ocular lenses. All captures will be organized in folders, in my hippocampus.

That's how the TV should be jealous, because that soap opera they are showing means nothing, compared to the real acts of these professional actors of real life.

Hospital doesn't seem to be that boring after all. Or as I thought it would be. >>



An hour later, I got the doctor's signature. I felt satisfied enough that at least this time my hours spent worth. So I went home and make my late lunch.



Photo: Baked beans, toast, sausages, scrambled egg, and yes, oatmeal. I just love baked beans so much, even the canned one. SO I think it is completely normal to have baked beans and toast for lunch instead for breakfast. Period.

2 comments:

  1. "You learn more at a funeral than at a feast—
    After all, that's where we'll end up.
    We might discover something from it."
    (Ecclesiates 7:2, The Message)

    Sometimes I wish I can see the world through each type of people's eyes. Maybe I should try reflecting and writing in a hospital, hehe... interesting observation, by the way. You described the moments so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah hospital is definitely a place where you can see the extreme sides of people, either they are on their peak of their health or those who is having a bad day because of their illness.

    But observations can be done just anywhere. :)

    Anyway thanks!

    ReplyDelete